Friday, October 1, 2010

mommy moment:: holy roseola!

Kannon has had his share of runny noses and sneezes but never anything that ever alarmed me.  All those mothers that have dealt with major illnesses, complications, and the "unknown" my heart goes out to you.  The last week has left my whole body sore with pain and worry for my little guy. 

Saturday he was happy, perky, and joyful.  We woke up to his smile and laughs and were ready for a wonderful day.  However, by noon our plan changed as Kannon's temperature started climbing. 

100. 101. 102. 103. 

I know babies can tolerate high fevers but Kannon showed no other signs of illness.  I couldn't just write it off as a cold.  It was Saturday, he was uncomfortable.  I did what I could.  So out came the tepid baths, tylenol, extra fluids, and lots of snuggles. 

By Sunday his fever still hovered over 102.  It would drop briefly in the afternoon and then climb right back to its favorite spot.  I decided to wait until Monday to call the doctor because there is no sense in waiting in urgent care for 2 hours with all sorts of other germs. 

Monday, the fever broke.  Hooray!  But Tuesday, the fever was back.  Again, 102 and this time Kannon was inconsolable.  He screamed for 2 hours and didn't want to be held but he didn't want to be alone.  He just wanted to cuddle completely naked, skin to skin, under a blanket with Baby Einstein on.  We did what we could, it was 3 am. Finally, he went to sleep and woke up smiling, happy, and without a fever.  Yay!!!

I thought we were out of the woods.  I suspected he may have had the flu or a cold.  And just when I thought it was safe, he got a horrible rash all over his body. 

Finally, 3 days of waiting and wondering whether or not I should take him to the doctor, we got an appointment.  Kannon lost 3 pounds over the week from his loss of appetite and was running on the cool side.  The pediatrician (whom we love!) diagnosed him with Roseola----a common childhood illness also known as "Sixth disease" that consists of 3 days of fever and finally a rash declaring the end of illness. 

Treatment?  Lots of love as it will be over in 6 days.

So after almost a week of worry, heartache, and sleepless nights my boy is finally sleeping soundly and healthy.  Yes, I could have taken him to doctor sooner but everyone I called said to wait it out.  We did and it was heart-wrenching.  In the end, I begged and pleaded for someone to see him and while it was less than thrilling (no measles, mumps, or rubella) I am comforted knowing that he is fine.

Now, maybe I can finally relax and encourage our soon-to-be second son to finally join the party!

2 comments:

  1. oh sad!!!! My sister actually had sixth disease last winter! I totally recognize those symptoms. Totally not fun, but I'm glad that he is doing ok! Yay for baby #2!!!!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! bella had that -no fun at ALL! glad he's on the mend :O)

    ReplyDelete