Sunday, October 10, 2010

Clark is here!


Clark Allen Pittman
10.08.10
11:24pm
6 lbs 15 oz
19 3/4 inches 

Our new little man finally arrived with a bang Friday night.  After barely 24 hours in the hospital we are home, recovering and enjoying getting to know each other.  It feels so good to be back in our own beds!

Our birth story:
On Tuesday, I was 0 cm dilated but was having consistent contractions every 7-10 minutes.  My doctor and I decided that if Clark wasn't here by Friday (41 weeks) that we would start the induction process.  I was induced with Kannon and while I had a great birth experience I was still hoping things would happen more naturally this time around.

Friday arrived and the hospital kept pushing back our induction time.  By the time we arrived, I was already having contractions 5-7 minutes apart (I couldn't feel them!) and was 2 cm dilated.  My blood pressure was elevated so they started me on the lowest dose of pitocin at 3pm to help contractions pick up.

At 7pm I was 3 cm, my doctor stripped my membranes and things picked up instantly.  They stopped pitocin and let things go naturally.  My doctor was convinced that this baby wasn't going to be born until Sunday....but I guess Clark had other plans.

By 7:30pm I was 4 cm dilated and laboring in the bathroom.  It was hard work, breathing through each contraction.  I was trying not to bang my head on the wall and curse at Dale.  For the first time, I found myself hating Dale, wishing I could stop labor, and hoping for it to all be over.  By 9:30pm I was 6cm, I caved and begged for the epidural!

I got the epidural at 10:15pm and immediately relaxed.  Dale's mom (who just flew in from Alaska) arrived at the hospital and Dale was planning on taking her home and coming back.  Again, Clark had different plans.

I called my nana at 10:40 to let her know what the progress was, we were all convinced that Clark would stay put until the 9th, my nana's birthday.  At 10:45pm I was 7cm, Dale left the room to tell his mom, and soon after our little guy's heart rate started dropping.  Dale came racing back as nurses rushed in around me.  They moved me to my side, my water broke, and at 11:20 I started pushing.  4 minutes and 3 pushes later Clark Allen was born screaming with a cord wrapped around his neck and both arms! 

Everyone was expecting an 8 pound baby but surprisingly Clark was only 6lbs and 15 oz.  He has a full head of black hair, dark (almost brown) eyes, and hairy shoulders!!!

Unlike Kannon who slept for the first 3 days refusing to nurse, Clark is hungry!  He latched on 10 minutes after birth and hasn't stopped since!  Last night he woke us up on the hour, every hour to feed! I am recovering easily...I just need some sleep!


All in all, it was a quick and almost painless birth.  Everything went well and our little man arrived healthy and perfect!  It is so easy to forget how small newborns are.  Even though we are still pretty fresh at the parenting thing, we are both amazed at how tiny Clark his.  He has tiny fingers, hands, and I am still adjusting to holding such a tiny infant again!  I am in awe, looking at Kannon, and realizing he was this tiny just a year ago.  They change and grow so fast and having two boys in my life is a reminder to enjoy every precious moment.


Kannon has no clue what is going on. He is loving the extra attention and smiles at the new baby but it is going to be a few months before he fully realizes he shares our love with Clark.  Until then, it will be chaos learning how to hold and care for 2 boys but equally rewarding with double the love.  I look forward to getting know Clark and his personality and again opening my heart to another.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulions! I'm so impressed with your amazing little family. =) I hope that everything goes well as the four of you become acquainted and adjust to one another. Love, Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He looks absolutely beautiful. I am amazed by how short your pushing time was. Again, congrats to your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! What a handsome boy he is!! So happy for you all! Kannon will come around soon, I am sure! He will be a great big brother :)

    ReplyDelete