Monday, October 4, 2010

mommy moments:: just one second


These days we have had our share of bumps and bruises.  It seems our little man is becoming more and more of trouble seeking toddler.  Everytime we turn around he his knocking over a water dish, getting into garbage, or climbing up the stairs.  We can't keep up with him! 


We do our best.  We childproofed.  We set up gates, plugged outlets, and got rid of the big hazards.  What they don't tell you?  Kids need constant supervision---even in an empty padded room.  I swear Kannon finds trouble anywhere! 

So lately, our days are never complete without a cry, bang, or bump.  I am not as quick as I used to be and with Dale working all the time I seem to be catching Kannon when he falls.  All it takes is one second.  One quick second, when I should have been behind him or holding his hand or moving something out of the way.  But I wasn't.  I looked away.  I was preoccupied.  I simply wasn't there. 

And it only takes one second. 

Kannon fell down the stairs on Saturday. 

Kannon pulled a 450 degree oven door open trying to hang on the handle on Sunday.

He fell of the bed this morning, stuck his fingers in the VCR at noon, and was climbing our stepladder by 1.  This kid never stops.  We sound like horrible parents!!! 


But the truth is, we do our best, we are teaching our son, telling him no, and he is learning from his own mistakes.  Since falling down the stairs, he has now learned to back down them instead of going face first.  He avoids the oven now and cries when we say no.  It is all a learning process (for all of us!) and no matter what we do, how perfect we are, there will always be bumps and bruises. 

And when my little man falls, I am always their to catch him with comfort, love, and lots of kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment