Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kitchen table, how do I love thee?

I have not had a table since I began college. I ate my dinner in my bed, on my desk, on the floor, on the couch or if I am busy, in the car. I ate this routine and since Dale and I have moved to Montana all I have dreamed about is a table to eat on. We searched the internet for good deals hoping to come across a decent table and nothing appeared. Finally, our search is over as a relative has generously provided us with a beautiful solid table. They brought it over yesterday in addition to a china hutch and I laid on the couch for hours staring at the table.

I know it seems dorky, its just a table! With the table, I see our home building, I see our future dinner parties, Thanksgiving, our childs first meal. I see family board game nights and reading the newspaper over a cup of tea. It is more than just a table-its family. Some of my fondest memories revolve around the dinner table, Thanksgiving, Christmas dinners, dyeing easter eggs, sending out graduation announcements, doing my math homework and realizing for the first time that I love school, playing rummy, and sharing grace. The table is an important element to the family and we often take this for granted.

This table came at the best time. Dale and I have a growing family and with baby on way its nice to have a table to help capture those thoughts and help us realize we have started our family.

So much has happened in the last year, it is unbelievable. It all feels so natural. Dale and I started dating in January 2008, we realized we were eachother's "one" and exchanged I love yous in February 2008, we moved in together in March 2008, he met the family in June 2008 when I graduated from college, I met his family in August 2008 and we got engaged in August 2008, got married in October 2008, moved to Missoula MT in January 2009 and now as of February 2009, we are pregnant. By October 2009, we will have been married a year and hopefully have a healthy and happy child in our lives, already in addition to our two cats and a dog. Things move fast but I cant wait to wake up one day and look back on 50 years of life with amazement, wonder, and satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment