Thursday, December 2, 2010

mama confesses:: the magic hour

There has been a lot of chatter amongst baby boards, facebook, and relatives about the "magic hour".  I am referring to 8pm, bedtime, goodnight, when parents finally start "their" day.  I am ashamed to admit that I start getting antsy if its 8:02pm and my kids are still awake.  Sadly, two hours later, I find myself missing my kids and go upstairs to check on their sleeping bodies. 

Nonetheless, 8pm is a special time.  We spend all day chasing kids around, dedicating every ounce of ourselves to our kin.  It is only fair that when the lights go out.....we get the party started!  Okay, half the time we are too tired and end up crashing early.  Most of the time, there is cleaning, laundry, and recipes to be made.  And the rest of the time, its me, a bottle of wine and my lovely husband.  So 8pm is special--almost sacred to those with kids.  And when the magic hour flies by with both kids awake.....

Disaster.  Sadness.  Frustration. 

Unfortunately, this is how the last week has been in our house.  Me, running up and down the stairs every 10 minutes to check on crying babies.  Kannon has a staph infection (thanks public pool!) on his well, hmmm, penis.  The infection has left him enjoying quality naked time (and peeing everywhere!) but also creating some bloody, blistery diapers.  Of course, the poor guy is in pain and won't sleep!  When Kannon does finally fall asleep after being rocked, consoled, and hydrated, Clark wakes up.  So lately, every ounce of my mind, body, and soul is devoted to comforting my children and "our" time no longer starts at 8pm.  Instead, when the whole shebang is all said and done, it 10pm and I am pooped. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love comforting my kids.  But its going on day 7, where I have yet to have 15 minutes to myself to shower, let alone an hour to just relax.  We are on the upswing.  Kannon was eager to sleep to night and Clark only had me run up the stairs once tonight. 

So who's ready for a party???

No comments:

Post a Comment