Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mama Confesses:: Babywearing

I have an addiction.  Actually, I have several addictions but most of them don't involve my credit card.  We are pretty "crunchy" parents.  We recycle, eat organic, cloth diaper and babywear.  Yes, babywear---the practice of wearing your baby in a sling, wrap, mei tei whatever.  This is where my story begins.

Kannon in the Ergo

Before Kannon was born we were given a ring sling, Moby wrap and an Ergo Baby Carrier.  Both are great carriers and very popular in Missoula.  I thought our stash would end here.  However, as I started discovering more about the world of babywearing, my addiction started.  I found myself scouring the internet searching for wovens, ring slings. mei teis and more.  At this point, my addiction was harmless--I was happy with my three carriers.
 Kannon in the ring sling

Until I met my BabyHawk Mei Tei.  I begged and pleaded to Dale to get the mei tei. I even fibbed about the price. He agreed and 4 days later the BabyHawk showed up at my door.  When I first heard about babywearing, the BabyHawk was originally on my list, but after we got the Ergo, I settled.

The Ergo was okay.  It will be great when Kannon is a bit older but for right now, the Ergo is like a relationship that needs a lot of work.  I am never really comfortable, always walking on eggshells hoping I don't lose my moment.  Dale likes the Ergo, so for now, it stays.

 Kannon in the BabyHawk

Man oh, man, get between me and my BabyHawk and I will eat your face.  The BabyHawk is like a great relationship--you don't have to work for it and its always comfortable.  The first time I slipped Kannon in, he smiled showing his happiness that we finally found something that would provide comfort and closeness for the both of us.

Kannon in the Kozy

This had me thinking, if the BabyHawk was this comfortable, how about a Kozy--favored by many babywearers for its thicker, wider straps.  So off I went in search of a Kozy.  This time I didn't tell Dale about it.  When the package arrived I hid it and opened it after he went to work.  I tried it on, decided it was okay and hid in it my closet.  The Kozy, is like a really hot affair.  Everybody raves about them, it is sort of exciting but I can't let myself get too comfortable...because really, it just doesn't fit me.  Needless to say, it is still in my closet hiding from Dale.  I pull it out when he leaves the house and go back in forth between breaking up with it or keeping it close by, just in case. 

Kannon in the $15 wrap

Then a horrible thing happened today.  I was running errands and needed to stop by our favorite cloth diapering store, Nature Boy, and sitting in their swap bin was a wrap.  I don't know who makes it, where it came from, but I had to have it.  Fortunately, it was only $15.

Kannon and I wrapped ourselves up and did some chores, he happily played with my hair and even fell asleep.  I have been hoping to get this woven, but I don't want to spend the $100 to get one, so I thought this $15 unknown wrap would be a test.  It was a test---one that passed with flying colors.  Now I need to explain to Dale why I want a $100 woven.

Babywearing has turned into an addiction.  Dale confronted me after the BabyHawk arrived and we had a long conversation about it.  I related it to shoes, because he has an appreciation for them.  I said that the Ergo is like a pair of Chaco's.  Everyone wears them, loves them, and they are easy to slip on.  Mei teis are like a pair of Danskos--they need a little breaking in, but slipping them on is like putting on an old pair of jeans, you just never take them off.  A woven is like a great pair of Italian leather loafers.  Once you have a pair, you never settle for less.  This helped clear the air a bit, but he still doesn't know about the Kozy hiding in my closet and he isn't handing over the cash for the woven.  For now, I guess I will have to let my addiction fester and enjoy the wrap, mei tei, and Ergo.

Dale has no room to talk because he babywears.

2 comments:

  1. I am so babywearing this time!!! I will need all the suggestions you can offer! I have been looking at starting out with a pouch carrier, I like the Peanut Shells, Slinglings, and Hotslings. Or should I start with a ring sling?? I just don't know! I figure for newborn and nursing one of these types would be more convenient. I really don't want to do a wrap, they don't seem like my thing, and I am worried about having a ton of extra material hanging around since I'm short. Was that a problem for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I love that last picture of Dale! :] I have a sleepy and a bjorn and I am afraid that's as far as it goes. But I DO love wearing her. :]

    ReplyDelete