Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Are we really that annoying?

While in Seattle I chose to be the designated driver so all my friends could celebrate our brief trip and our close friend's return from South America. It was my first night out since getting pregnant and I figured it would be fun to watch everyone get smashed while I sipped on my Shirley temple.

By 9pm I was ready to hit the sack. I was falling asleep at the bar resisting laying my head on the table for fear of getting kicked out. Everyone ordered another round. By 10pm I was wiggling in my seat, sucking down water to stay awake and heading to the bathroom every ten minutes to pee. Another round went around. At this point I put my foot down and demanded we return home, so after everyone chugged their beers we headed home.

I did just drive 7 hours maybe I was just tired and restless. So I decided I would give it a chance the next night.

The next day I had a mommy day. I shuttled hungover friends to breakfast, dropped a few off downtown, headed to park with the dog, only to give her a bath as soon as we got home because she was so muddy, I shuttled another friend to a class, drove to North Seattle to run errands, went shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, picked up friend and got dinner, started to head home when another friend wanted a ride, dropped them all off, headed to dinner at a former boss' house, went to a concert, picked up husband, and finally drifted asleep at 2am.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being "the mom". Seriously, I used to pack my roommates lunches in college, complete with decorated names. I love cooking for people. Hell, I don't do my laundry but I will do yours. I love being "the mom" and I cant wait until I am a mom.

All this running around was unexpected and when I arrived at the bar to meet with friends I was downhill from there. I observed as everyone enjoyed their beer and cigarettes and patiently sat trying not to get jealous. After my day, all I wanted was beer and cigarette! I listened as everyone laughed and spoke nonsense. We went to a show that I was anticipating starting way earlier but waited around for two hours watching everyone get smashed and once again trying not to fall asleep. Finally, I couldn't take it. I stayed for one song and headed downtown to pick up my husband who at this point was smashed. I laughed as we drove home and Dale sputtered nonsense about this worm hole game. We picked up our friends on the way home.

One of them thought it would be fun to climb a bridge while it was moving up. The other thought it would be a great idea to climb into the back of the explorer with the dog. Some others decided taking pictures in the car would be fun. Flash. Flash. Flash. I was hungry and saw a Jack in the Box. Quick trip, right? Try ordering food for six drunk and hungry 20 somethings. Its harder then ordering for a 6-year old soccer team. For once, I felt sympathy for the cashier waiting patiently to take our order.

I know that I used to be this way. Actually, I was way worse. I drunk dialed family members, went to IHOP insisting on pancakes at 4 am. I got the drunk munchies and would eat a whole bowl of my roommates ice cream without asking. I ran into window panes because I couldn't hold myself up. I fell down stairs. I made out with random strangers. I once even peed on a printer because my drunken state left me wandering for a toilet.

Being DD, I finally had my first opportunity to get a glimpse of those drunken nights. I just cant believe that alcohol can change the human being so much. A completely rational being is all of sudden turned wild with a few drinks. Are we really that annoying? Or am I just being a mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment