Monday, April 27, 2009

Sunburns and Service Days

For the past few weeks I have been spending almost every minute of my free time planning Global Youth Service Day. Funny, that to plan a service project you put almost 40 hours of planning into it before you actually serve! GYSD was on Saturday and now, after weeks of running around frantically, I can finally relax....almost.

Saturday was great, we had 12 volunteers, 4 high schoolers and the rest college-aged. We started creating the community garden that Joseph Residence, a transitional housing unit for homeless families, had recently been given. It was great work. We created an herb spiral--which I plan on building in my own garden, tilled and sifted soil, and created woodchipped walkways. Overall, the day was very successful.

I came home on Saturday and felt I was on the verge of collapse. I was deliriously tired and crawled in bed to sleep for 4 hours. When I woke up I was hot, thirsty, cold, hungry, and weak. Upon looking in the mirror, I saw staring back at me a SUNBURNED face! I never get sunburned, I tan. I guess all these extra pregnancy hormones left my poor face sensitive to those UV rays...as Dale said "you look like Hamburglar". I think I was suffering a little bit from sunstroke as even after the 3 bottles of water I drank and 4 hour nap I was still thirsty and exhausted.

Nothing a little Gatorade, aloe lotion, and rest cant cure. I am still sunburned but its fading quickly.

This is just a reminder to my pregnant self that 4 hours of service work outside may be no problem for most people, but for the pregnant lady, take a break and put on some sunscreen!

Last week, Dale and I finally started documenting my growing belly. I will post pics soon, all I have to say, shorties like me, look 6 months pregnant even at 3 months. I love having a baby belly and while I gripe about pants not fitting, just having Dale rub my belly everyday is enough to remind me of how magical this whole process is.

No comments:

Post a Comment