Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Business of Being Born

After weeks of searching the library I finally found a copy of the 'Business of Being Born'. I was so excited to watch it while Dale was at work. I set up shop on the couch and even put on the projector for a wide-screen movie effect.

The movie was very interesting and offered lots of historical evidence about the myth of midwives. However, I felt that the movie was very one-sided and in the end, I felt guilty, like I made the wrong choice choosing to use a doctor/ob-gyn instead of a midwife.

Midwifery is an important practice and there is a lot of truth about the facts that were presented in the movie. Europeans do use more midwives and have a lower birth rate. It is true that some doctors rush women during childbirth and use more interventions. Overall, it is a personal choice. Women must be presented both sides and be allowed to choose. I don't think bashing the medical field is really a way of persuading women to use midwives.

Personally, I would love to use a midwife. However, this is my first child and I am in constant fear about the process of labor. If something goes wrong, I would like it to be handled as quickly as possible. Living in a rural area that fear is doubled because I don't want to drive 25 minutes to a hospital during a life/death situation. My health insurance also only covers using an ob/gyn. I do plan on making a very clear birth plan and will understand that if after 20 hours of labor and the baby is breech that plan is followed, that is okay. Ultimately, the choice comes down to women and whatever choice that is should be respected and understood.

One thing that came to my attention during the movie was the practice of epidurals and pitocin. I did a little research to investigate the consequences of using pain medication and pitocin. Lake and producer Epstein were correct on this point. Using pain medication during labor slows the process of labor down. When that process is slowed, doctors issue pitocin to increase contractions and speed labor up. Of course, the epidural wears off and more pain medication is given and then pitocin is given and the baby can go into distress. Women in labor should be made aware of that rolling effect. If we practice using natural childbirth the need for interventions may be less likely, but who really wants to deal with the pain?

I was already toying with the idea of natural childbirth and after researching the effects of epidurals and pitocin I have decided that I would like to go natural. Women have been having babies for hundreds of years. Some tolerate the pain some don't, its a personal choice. I have a very high tolerance for pain and I am also very confident about my body to go natural. Of course, when I am in labor and feeling those contractions my opinion may change. Regardless, I am just glad to be informed about the options.

People ask me "what kind of birth are having" and I was so perplexed. Everyone around me has had elected c-sections and I just assumed that was the practice these days. I have come 180 and and am glad to have researched the various options, opinions, and perspectives concerning childbirth. 'Business of Being Born' may have been one-sided but it did inspire me to look further into childbirth practices in order to make a personal choice about my childbirth experience. Ultimately, that is whats most important.

After watching the movie I also watched 'Pregnancy for Dummies' which portrayed a more medical perspective of pregnancy and childbirth. This movie provided very valuable information and made me less nervous about childbirth. For all you moms-to-be wanting a clear answer to those pregnancy concerns, check this movie out!

No comments:

Post a Comment