Monday, April 27, 2009

Baby Registry Bonanza

I have started completing our baby registry at Target, mostly because I needed something to do while Dale is at work in the evenings, but also because I couldn't resist! I am overwhelmed and amazed at how much baby stuff is out there. Completing our wedding registry was a cake walk compared to this.

I spend 30 minutes researching, reading reviews, and consumer product safety reviews before adding a every item. I see something I like and then I read the reviews and my heart is broken because the item is unsafe. And I think to myself, why do people even make this cheap stuff that falls apart!!! As a soon-to-be mom, I only want the safest stuff for my baby but I cant afford to spend hundreds of $$$$$. I am beginning to think that manufacturers are again taking advantage of us lower-income families simply because they know we will buy it because we cant afford anything else.

In addition, how much baby crap do you really need. I have a buying guide at home and so far I have just been going down the list registering for higher quality stuff. Then I get to stuff, like air purifier, and I scratch my head and think "is this really necessary" we live in Montana, the air is purified! Does my baby really need a 3 sets of bath toys? Or a diaper stacker? Or bath water thermometer? What happened to the good old elbow method? Have we convinced ourselves that babies need this much stuff? What happened to good old breastfeeding and papooses that our long ago ancestors used....I want to know where they registered!

All this time spent on my registry is important because every item you buy for your child is like buying a car: it needs to be safe and reliable. We only want the best for our children, if our baby owns more clothes than I do, I guess that's the way it should be. Nonetheless, I will still gripe about it. I just wish someone create the perfect mom's registry for those who want safe, reliable, cute, and functional baby items so I can click "okay" on instead of spending countless hours reading product reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment