Sunday, November 23, 2014

6 weeks!

This week was busy! I started off with REAL morning sickness, like puking my guts out everyday this week, not like the dull nausea during my pregnancy with Kannon and Clark. I also have been waking up everyday at 4:45am craving Coke, which if you all know me, I DO NOT DRINK! This pregnancy has been a wild card!

I had an appointment on Tuesday with an OB. Normally, I wouldn't have gone in this early but I was so anxious about the spotting and cramping, I needed answers.  She was a lovely doctor and reassured me about all of the spotting and cramping I had been having.  We did an ultrasound just to make sure it wasn't ectopic or any other complication.  I was only 5 weeks but we did see the baby's gestational and yolk sak which were measuring right on track for a June 17 due date.  I will go back on November 3 for a follow up and another ultrasound.  In the meantime, my doctor told me to keep my stress level low, limit caffeine and drink LOTS of water.

However, while the doctor was wonderful, being in the hospital brought back a flood of memories from my birth with Clark.  During my labor with Clark I felt very frustrated because the doctor wouldn't let me have food or drink.  They wouldn't let me move around and all the IVs made it hard to adjust myself in the bed.  To make matters most, during the last minutes before his arrival, Clark's heart decelerated as he came through the birth canal and the Dr shouted "book an OR we need to do a section!" I remember feeling panicked but knew things would be fine, I told that doctor that I pushed my first out quickly and I could it again.  Sure enough, one push later, Clark was screaming and perfectly healthy.  In any case, my experience left me very frustrated.  I felt like I had no control in my birth and had I not trusted myself and spoke up, I could have ended up with a unnecessary c-section. I had wanted to use a midwife during my pregnancy with Clark but because of insurance reasons, we couldn't get one.  In the end, everything was fine, but it had me rethinking things.

This time around, I have decided that I want to use a midwife and a birth center.  Especially, because the hospital choices in our area have a 42% c-section rate, one of the highest in the country! I have started doing my research and am already so excited about the options for care.  I visited one birth center that was immaculate and relaxing.  The staff was so friendly and they listened to my concerns and needs.  I am going to visit a few other birth centers before making my mind.

In the meantime, we have started telling the boys.  They came with me to visit the birth center and were sad that we didn't get to take a baby home that day! Clark announced that he is excited to be a big brother because he is going to be "a better big brother than Kannon!" Ha! Typical, Clark!  We are so excited and are going to enjoy the next 8 months adjusting to our growing family!


Date: 10/26/14
Week: 6 weeks 5 days
Estimated baby size: a lentil
Weight Gain: 0 pounds
Symptoms:
cramping, morning sickness (FOR REAL!), constipation, CRAZY dreams, insomnia,  and sneezing!
Cravings: Cherry coke, twinkies, roasted turkey and green beans
What is baby doing?: The nose, mouth, and ears that we'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment