Sunday, April 25, 2010

solid sundays:: starting solids



A couple of weeks ago we were given the go ahead to start Kannon on real food.  Since then, we have introduced several new fruits and veggies with success.  I keep meaning to make a "food log" but between moving, packing boxes, and such I can't seem to keep track of my car keys let alone a piece of paper.  So, Sundays will be the start of a new blog category--solid sundays.  Stay tuned if you like learning more about food, making baby food, and seeing ridiculous photos of Kannon covered in puree. 

First off, I never knew baby food could be so fun.  Before Kannon my concept of baby food was Gerber jars packed full with gross smelling purees.   Seriously, what baby would eat pureed chicken?  Of course, after having Kannon my outlook on baby food changed.  I bought a food mill, ice cube trays (for storing and freezing), and a puree cookbook.  I have been researching the history of peas, carrots, and bananas--desiring a greater understanding of not only where food comes from, but its history



So the googling began and before long I was in the grocery store telling Dale the complete history of sweet potatoes versus yams--with an audience.  I am like a mad scientist playing with my son's food.  I giggle every time I use the food mill recounting my years of playdough and preschool.  I mix bananas and avocados and play with food as much as Kannon. I am so much more than a foodie, I am a fun-foodie.



Alas, I digress.  We introduce new foods on Mondays and Thursdays leaving Sunday as a good opportunity to recap on Kannon's food adventures.  Bon appetit!

Feeding Schedule::
7am 6oz bottle
9:30am 4 oz bottle
Nap
11:30am Veggie Serving
2:00pm 6 oz bottle
Nap
5:00pm Veggie/Fruit Serving
7:30pm 6oz bottle
Bedtime (Kannon sleeps from 7pm-7am EVERY night)


***This is Kannon's schedule.  We feed him when he shows hunger cues and let him eat until he's full.  Somedays this schedule is different.  Yesterday Kannon ate 12oz in an hour.  In general, this is the everyday schedule that Kannon has set for himself--like clockwork. Kannon is beginning to cut out the 4oz bottles now that we have started solids.  I imagine that when we introduce a third meal, those bottles will be completely eliminated.  We plan on adding a breakfast serving at 8am but we are waiting until we are moved, settled, and have a more regular schedule.

New Foods::
Peas
Carrots
Apples
Avocado
Bananas
Sweet Potatoes

Peas::
To make peas, I steamed them in a little bit of boiling water until soft and ran them through our food mill.  The texture was quite dry so I added formula to keep them runny.

After the first few bites, Kannon decided he liked them and ate nearly 3 oz in one sitting. 



Carrots::
For carrots, I made them just like peas, steaming them until soft and using the food mill to puree. 

After the first few bites, Kannon made gagging faces, pushed my hands away, and started crying by the 4th bite. I tried to introduce them again and he fussed the minute he saw the bowl.  To top it off, he pooped orange for 2 days.  I think we will try carrots at a later date.

Apples:: 
For apples, I used frozen, sliced and peeled apples that I steamed in water and pureed with my  food processor.

Kannon loves sucking on apples in his mesh bag so I assumed he would love apple pureed but I was wrong.  He wasn't crazy about the texture or the taste but he still sucked them down. Next batch, I will try adding cinnamon to spice things up.

Avocados::
This is a no-brainer.  I sliced an avocado and ran it through the food mill to mash it up. 

Kannon wasn't crazy about avocados but by the third bite he was downing them like a champ. 

Bananas::
Also, a no-brainer.  I ran the banana through the food mill and it turned into a delicious banana pudding. 

Kannon loves bananas.  He now eats nearly a whole pureed banana at breakfast.  However much he loves them, I can't give him too much because it makes him really bratty....I am not sure why.

***We also mixed bananas and avocado which sounds like a crazy combination but it was delicious.  Apparently Kannon agreed because the bowl disappeared before I could blink.






Sweet Potatoes::
For these bad boys, I poked them a few times with a fork and put them in a dish with a little bit of water in a 400 degree oven.  45 minutes later the potatoes are done.  I ran them under cold water, peeled the skin off and used the food mill.

Kannon loves sweet potatoes.  When I pull them out of the fridge he does this little excited dance and flails his arms and legs about.  The best part, I love sweet potatoes, so every one bite for Kannon is 2 bites for me. 



Next Week Preview::
Butternut Squash
Pears

We are trying to introduce a new fruit and vegetable each week.  I am also spending a little time researching baby-led weaning and plan on introducing a few finger foods in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment