Wednesday, October 14, 2009

When Time Just Stops....

Every week when Dale and I head to the doctor for our weekly appointment it reminds us of how close we actually are to holding our son! These last 38 weeks have flown by yet I still feel like I am going to be pregnant forever! We wake up every morning thinking "is this going to be the day" and sadly, nothing happens. However, we have been reminding ourselves that we need to continue to enjoy these last few weeks together instead of anxiously pacing around the house like we are late for a meeting or something.

Anyways, this Sunday marks our 1-year wedding anniversary and we fully intend to celebrate over a nice dinner on Friday night. We are both amazed at how fast this year has flown by! We certainly never expected this all to happen so quickly but we always hoped! So, in honor of our anniversary, I finally uploaded our wedding video and created a video montage of our wedding photos.






Dale and I met in September 2007 but didn't start dating until January 2008. After only a month or so of dating, we moved in together, exchanged "I love you's" and enjoyed an awesome 8 months of dating. We vacationed in Oregon, went to concerts, enjoyed many fancy meals out on the town, and met each others families. I always knew Dale was the "one" and I knew he was thinking about proposing....I just didn't know when! We went to Alaska and Dale had already said he wouldn't propose in Alaska because it was too predictable....well, plans change and he ended up popping the question over a hot fire next to a glacially carved river. Of course, I said yes!

We immediately started planning a wedding for April 2009 but the planning process alone had Dale and I both in tears and frustrations as we realized we were planning a wedding for everyone else, one that would be big, expensive, and stressful. We finally came to the realization that we really just wanted to get married on top of a mountain with only a few friends present. So, two weeks later, a dress I found on Craigslist for $50, and our few friends, we headed to Orcas Island, WA to exchange nuptials.

We rented a house on the island that opened up to beautiful Eastsound bay and were planning on making a nice dinner the first night but settled with mac & cheese from the gas station as the one grocery store closed at 9. The next day, we slept in, drank coffee, made cinnamon rolls and headed up to Mt. Constitution to enjoy the majestic views of the San Juans. We leisurely made our way back to our lodging and started getting ready for our wedding, which didn't have a specific start time. My friend Hanna prepared beautiful bouquets while another friend, Kaisee, curled my hair. Dalyn, Dale's sister, was floating in between the boys and girls rooms helping us accomplish everything in a timely fashion. By 3 pm we were ready to get hitched and headed up to our little mountain (which happens to be my guardian's yet to be developed property).

We had no music, only a few notes from Dalyn. I wore blue shoes. Our camera was hoisted by a tripod and our only decorations were a few candles, a scarf, and the view. I dint really remember the wedding, all I remember is staring into Dale's eyes waiting for the most important speech of my life. Looking back on the video, I laugh. Our wedding was the most beautiful comedy of errors: the rings were tied too tight, my curls kept falling out, my dress was falling down, Jarred forgot to let us read our vows, Hanna proclaimed the Internet as our justice of peace, and Dale and I could hardly contain our inside-jokes. Overall, the wedding was a success: beautiful and stress free. I wish that all our families could have been present for the party of a lifetime, but if I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing as it really was about our love for each other and not about seating charts, colors, and big bands.

Dale and I floated on air the rest of the day. We all chipped in and grilled salmon and pork tenderloin, stuffed bell peppers, and ate cake that was inappropriate but made us laugh. We shared bottles of champagne and Dale and I ended up retreating to the couch to hold hands and smile. Time stood still that day.

When I think back to the day, time stops as all I can remember is the fresh crisp air, the birds chirping, and how beautiful Dale's vows were. We started our own family unit that day and now, I just smile knowing how much our family is growing. We went from us, to 2 cats, a dog, and a baby on the way! I am anxiously waiting for the next weeks to come, but I will remember fondly, the day our family was started-- peacefully, relaxed, and hopelessly in love.

1 comment:

  1. That was so fun to watch! What a beautiful, perfect wedding! Happy Belated Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete