Sunday, October 18, 2009

Anniversary and Eggplant Baby!!

Today marks our 1-year wedding anniversary but we celebrated early (on Thursday) I think hoping that the baby would come early! We shared an intimate evening, first stopping in at our favorite watering hole, James Bar, for some cheap drinks and eats to set the mood. Then we headed to RedBird, which ended with us walking out on account of poor service and bad vibes and strutted our heels down to Scotty's Table instead. Our last fancy meal out was on my birthday and we went to Pearl for what I thought was the most amazing meal of my life--truth is, I had another amazing meal (don't hate me Pearl!)

We brought our own wine, which Dale picked out, a beautiful and smooth malbec from Argentina, and pared it with braised beef with a marscapone polenta and sherry demi-glace, a pork confit with tomato-bacon remoulade with brioche and a delightful over-easy egg, and topped the whole night off with a flourless chocolate-raspberry torte. Needless to say, we walked away happy and full, enjoying what will probably be our last night out for a while!

So Friday morning, I woke up having these horrible stomach cramps...I thought it may have just been the rich meal we consumed the night before, but these cramps did not go away! We ran a few errands, walked around, took a nap, and the cramps kept coming back! I was running around trying to decide whether I should get my bags packed or sleep it off. Of course, Dale and I were super excited that this might be the start of labor only to be disappointed when the cramps slowly faded away--2 days later and I get a cramp maybe once every hour. Now, I realize that it was probably false labor!

I know every one says "you will know" when its labor but for all the women I have spoken with (my family included) none have known until the baby popped out 45 minutes after arriving to the hospital! In fact, most of them thought it was a stomach ache! We have a doctor's appointment in the morning and we will find out if any of these contractions were productive!

In all the hullabaloo, Dale and I were doing everything in our power to continue contractions. I walked, drank raspberry leaf tea, ate spicy Wasabi sauce over my burrito, walked more, and finally decided to distract ourselves by preparing what is believed to be a "guaranteed" labor inducer: Scalini's Famous Eggplant Parmigiana (http://www.scalinis.com/Bambino.htm) 24 hours later and I am still sitting here (there is still hope, as they guarantee labor within 48 hours) so I am not convinced of any of these tales but at least I am fat, happy and full with a belly full of eggplant! The recipe was easy and soooooo delicious it had our cat begging for more!!! You can follow the recipe on the link, which makes a ridiculous amount of food, so I would suggest cutting it in 3rds.

No comments:

Post a Comment