Friday, November 12, 2010

mommy moments:: bath time

I am amazed somedays at how easy and routine our little life has become.  Most days go off without a hitch, both boys happy and asleep by 8pm.  Those are days when I have help.  Days when Dale is home and can bathe Kannon or Clark or days when visitors are here to help (thanks mom!).  Then there are days when it is just me.  Me. Alone. Alone with two boys who demand to be fed at the same time, bathed, and in bed at 8. 

Things get a bit crazy. 

I find myself trying to soothe two very unhappy boys, juggling dinner and nursing at once, and feeling sweat poor down my face because I am running around frantically trying to keep it together.  But dinner is the easy part. 

Bath time is a whole other story.  Kannon loves his bath time.  Clark loves his bath time.  I can't skip it. It has to happen.  Until Clark is big enough to bathe with Kannon I have to do baths in shifts.  This leaves Kannon screaming because its not his turn (even though he just had a bath) or Clark screaming because his water got a little cold while I was shaking Kannon off my leg. 

Bedtime clearly requires two people.  They both need me and there is only one of me around.  I have tried switching the routine trying to put Clark to bed earlier or vice versa and it doesn't work. 
Somehow my boys are already joining forces trying to make my life a living nightmare. 

They think its funny to see me sweat, panic, fluster.  They think its funny to watch Kannon shove a toothbrush into the VCR because mommy is nursing Clark.  They think its funny to watch Kannon scream because he has decided to reject wearing pajamas or diapers.  Even better, they think its funny to watch Kannon poop in the bathtub, followed by Clark pooping after mommy just cleaned the tub for the umpteenth time. 

Boys.

Cant live with them, cant live without them. 

But by 8pm, Kannon is sleeping in his crib, Clark in his and I fight fatigue.  The 2-hour routine of dinner, bath, and bed leaves me exhausted, covered in food, milk, tub water, and snot.  I have a beer to get the screaming children out of my head and apologize to my VCR. 

I keep hoping that it will get better but a month into this routine I realize that this will always be the game.  Next year, I will be fighting off two toddlers who have decided to reenact Star Wars via my bathtub at my expense.  Its a tough job but somebody has to do it.  

1 comment:

  1. That whole routine is crazy around here, too. But Dustin is home every evening to help, and I still feel like I'm losing my mind! He takes Ryder and I take Kylie. I have NO idea how you can do both! You are Supermom! During the whole thing, I often wonder how on earth I would do it if he weren't home.

    ReplyDelete