Saturday, January 2, 2010

Daddy Logic



Parenting comes very easy to Dale and me. Perhaps it is our open mind, flexibility, and patience. When life gives us poop, we wash it out and start over again (referring to diapers of course). There are some moments, however, that I find myself struggling deep within myself to contain that urge to run out the door screaming. Those are the moments when I let Dale take over, in whatever fashion he desires.

During those days, I like to sit idly by watching my husband as he coos, giggles, and makes silly faces at our little one. Some times, I am surprised at his gentleness and candor. Other times, I am laughing my a$$ off wondering how I married such a fool. Dale should win "Dad of the Year" for all of his golden achievements, however, I am not willing to let some his actions slip by unnoticed in a clear moment of what I like to call "Daddy Logic".

1.) A few weeks ago, I came home to find Kannon in a diaper stuffed with washcloths. I asked Dale what happened and he said we ran out prefolds so he just stuffed a washcloth in his diaper cover. It worked as Kannon was dry and washcloth was wet, but I was praying god that we never run out of diapers as I might find Kannon wrapped in paper towels!

2.) We got his adorable little bathrobe for Christmas and Dale insisted on using it last night. So after Kannon was bathed, Dale put him in the robe to go lounge around....a few moments later he noticed he was wet, that's when he realized he forgot to put a diaper on. Duh!

3.) Kannon has been rejecting bottles, so we have been trying to get him to take a bottle at almost every feeding--of course we usually fail as this little boy will not be fooled! However, we thought we had success when Dale called me in to show me that half the bottle was gone. Then I looked at Kannon's shirt, which was completely soaked. He was drinking all right, but he wasn't swallowing....and Dale didn't even notice!! Maybe its for the best that Kannon has been rejecting the bottle all these weeks!

4.) I think Dale thinks he has more than two hands because he is always trying to do too much. For instance, he grabbed the carseat, the bookbag, and groceries all in one hand. When he reached the door, he put the carseat down and said "look honey, its a door stop!" and went inside to drop his bags off, leaving Kannon and his carseat holding the door open for me. Thank god it wasn't snowing! I appreciate the help but babies aren't doorstops.

5.) Dale shouted excitedly from the kitchen, "look, he is tracking!!" (a skill Kannon has possessed for weeks now) and I walked in to see Dale holding his beer bottle in front of Kannon. Kannon was indeed tracking the beer bottle and Dale suggested we make a beer-bottle mobile. Ummmm????



Dale is a wonderful father. I couldn't have asked for a stronger more supportive partner. He never complains about dirty diapers, 2 am feedings, or bringing home groceries. He always remembers to feed the dog and does the laundry on his days off. He has made parenting equally fun and challenging as we both learn more about our needs as a family. Even when I am upset, running out the door away from our screaming child, he finds a way to make me laugh...be it seeing Kannon in a ladies headband or soaring through the air to land his mommy a kiss. I cant wait to see the many more "Daddy Logic" moments that send me to tears in laughter as our son grows older. For now, I am hiding the washcloths and buying a real doorstop tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! What a great hubby you have!!

    ALSO, can you email me? I have some CDing questions and who better to ask than the expert.. ;]

    It's jessicasalonga@gmail.com THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete