Saturday, January 30, 2010

Finally...working from home!




Okay, not really. I am still working at my office most days but seeing as my contract ends in June I am constantly thinking of the future--trying to find a source of income that will allow me to stay at home full-time with my little man.

I feel guilty admitting that I would rather be at home than using my degree (which cost me $20,000) in a fulfilling career. However, I have my entire life to pursue all the careers I dream and Kannon will only be young once!

So this is the path I walk....I now make and sell dryer balls, produce bags, and other clever creations. It is not easy. There is a cost--my fingers are sore from winding balls and balls of yarn and my eyes are tired from working late into the night counting stitches and rows. But it is worth is to sleep in every morning, waking up to precious blue eyes knowing I have no agenda, no commitments, and no where to go.


Produce Bag

I am jumping ahead of myself as I am still working part-time but come summer I am trading in my work slacks and heels for full-time pajamas and unwashed hair....all in pursuit of happiness--and dryer balls.


My dryer balls

So what may you ask are these silly little balls I keep referencing? In a nutshell, they are balls of recycled wool yarn that I wind into balls, felt twice and package neatly in a handmade storage bag. Why use them? They help cut down the time it takes to dry your clothes by breaking up your laundry so hot air can penetrate the core of your laundry. We have found using 5 balls that our drying time is decreased by 40%...good for us, good for the environment, and good for our energy bill! In addition, dryer balls help pick up lint, pet hair, and remove static eliminating your need for harmful fabric softeners and dryer sheets which contain chemical additives not only known to be cancerous but on the EPA "Hazardous Waste List".

In a nutshell, never buy dryer sheets again, reduce your drying time, energy costs, and go green with dryer balls.

It gets really exciting!


The Good Food Store order $200 worth of products!

I sold six sets of dryer balls and 12 produce bags to the Good Food Store on Thursday. My husband just informed me that 3 days later, there are only 2 sets left. Woooooaaah!

There are other alternatives. Several companies make plastic, rubber, or pvc free balls. However, these tend to be noisy and have been rumored to damage clothes. There is also line-drying....but in Montana, in the middle of winter, this is not an option unless you feel like putting frozen underwear on your as$. You can also add vinegar to soften clothes, but you still have drying time to worry about. But wool dryer balls can be expensive and some folks have wool allergies. All in all, all products have their costs and advantages, just be open minded and aware of the products you are using.

Anyhow, I really hope that these nifty little balls and produce bags take off. Being a VISTA I have learned to live on a really tight budget and Dale and I have figured that I only need to make $600 a month to keep up the same lifestyle we have now. Between the Good Food Store and Farmer's Market this summer, some potential writing opportunities, blogging, and babysitting I should be able to come close.


Some produce bags

Check out my etsy site for new updates and products! http://www.etsy.com/shop/theyarnbox

No comments:

Post a Comment