Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Move over! Pregnant lady on a bike!

What started as a somewhat dark and dismal day with a rain shower and thunder storm miraculously turned in to a beautiful and cool 70 degrees with clean blue skies lightly dotted with a few fluffy white clouds. Of course, my new 3 -wheel bike was squeaking in the garage begging to be let out of its cage.

I needed to go to the store anyways to pick up chicken broth for a batch of corn chowder that I was making and rather than drive (and risk losing my parking spot!!!) I packed up the bike, put Emma in the basket and took off for an adventure.

We were only headed to Safeway which is about a mile from our house, however, the only way to get there is either crossing a tall bridge, riding uphill, riding under a bridge with cars flying by, or taking the rather roundabout pedestrian bridge over the railroad. Considering safety, traffic, and sidewalks I decided to take the pedestrian bridge. There was no way I could make it up the whole thing, so I ended up pushing the bike up the path, feeding Emma cookies the whole way to make sure she stayed in the basket. This was really rather amusing to passerbys as they all chuckled at the site.

We made it to Safeway and not having a heavy duty lock for my bike I made it a quick trip for fear that someone would not only make off with my bike but an awesome dog. Of course, I came out to see Emma laying peacefully in the sun, still attached to the bike.

Armed with groceries, a banana-chip eating dog, and 15 pounds of purely visible baby weight, I set on my path for home. I never had to stop at a stop sign, cars just stopped and let me cross the street! This was a relief as once I stop its hard to get going again!

Of course, I made my way up the roundabout, over the railroad tracks and started my descent down, this time deciding that I would ride the bike down instead of pushing it. People must of seen me coming because I started down the windy path, catching quite a breeze, to see 15 people lined up at the bottom waiting to head up! I am pregnant, not plague ridden or a disaster on wheels, but secretly I wanted to shout at the top of my lungs, MOVE OVER, PREGNANT LADY COMING THROUGH!!!!

However, I refrained, and continued on my journey home, still chuckling at all the people lined up waiting for me, my dog, groceries, and giant pregnant belly to pass them on my adult-sized tricycle. Of course, when I got home, the baby started kicking me as though to show his displeasure with my pleasure ride.

I hope this corn chowder was worth the trip. I wish you could have seen it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL great story! Good for you for hopping on your bike, I imagine doing that a couple times a week will help condition you for child birth. I'm still amazed Emma will stay in the basket, even if you need to bribe her with cookies, what a good girl!

    ReplyDelete