Monday, July 27, 2009

Hotel Pittman, Now Closed for Reservations

Its official, our month-long rotation of visitors has started! Hotel Pittman is closed for reservations as every room, couch, and floor is taken by a body! We are so excited to have all this company as we spend 9 months out of the year without visitors (who comes to Montana in the winter!) and savor the few weeks that we can share our homes and heart with family and friends.

My brother arrived last Wednesday and we were able to turn an ordinary storage/office space into a guest bedroom for him. It is small and hot but at least its better than the floor. While on most days I want to kill him for his snarky comments and negative attitudes the few days when we have good conversations make it all worthwhile in the end.

We went to the library yesterday and he checked out some military movies and a study guide for his ASVAB (military aptitude test) and we spent the rest of day tossing a ball into the river for Emma to catch. Sam shared with me some of his frustrations, goals, and has shown himself to be purely contented in the Montana air. He even admitted that he could see himself living here after he gets married and starts a family......(hell froze over just now, as any of you who know Sam, also know that leaving California would only happen if the state sank into the ocean!)

Sam and Dale get along great, in fact, when Dale leaves, Sam sits around idly passing the time until Dale comes back. True Bromance.

It has been helpful having Sam around the house to help me move boxes and clean up for the arrival of our guests. We bought a new bed and he was able to help me set it up before Dale got home so I could surprise him with the luxurious new suite....aka our bedroom. Let me just say, we made the upgrade from double to Queen sized-bed and six inches really does make a difference. Dale and I have slept a full 8-hours (minus my now routine potty breaks) on our new satiny sheets, firm mattress, and extra room to spare. Even our dog, who suffered a tragic fall last week when she rolled over unexpectedly out of her sleep onto the hardwood floors, is enjoying the added space and room. Too bad, she will be getting kicked out soon as we begin to make more preparations for baby.

Alas, tomorrow marks the arrival of our Seattle friends, Ian and Kaisee. We are headed to Glacier National Park for a few days only to return to the arrival of a few more visitors, Dale's parents, our friend Jarred, and a college friend of mine, Hilary who are blessedly arriving in time for our baby shower on Sunday! At that time, our backyard is turned into a beer garden, complete with beer, Sangria, copious amounts of food, and dessert to please a pregnant lady and a half! We are so excited!

I am sorry if I may be absent for the next few weeks but as you can see my duties as a tour guide are filling up! I will try to document our journey to Glacier, continued drama from my brother, and the last party we will host before we journey into parenthood.

The baby is still kicking away. I swear I can now identify the difference between getting kicked by a foot, arm, hand, or elbow, which is truly a bizarre feeling. Our last miserable night in our double-bed led to some serious soccer session as Dale was able to feel our son kick for 5 minutes, at one point stopping to say "holy christ, that was hard!" Tell me about it--I am sure the bruises on my bladder will heal someday after the baby is born. The baby is now kicking high into my ribs, causing a lot of discomfort as I can hardly breathe and it feels as though I have cracked all my ribs. Alas, I savor every moment and fully intend to use these experiences as blackmail when our son is an unruly teenager.

For those of you who need some light reading, Dale started a new wine blog which is truly hilarious, quirky, and marvelous. You can find it at: daleapittman.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment