Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Veterinarians, Birthdays, and my disillusionment with Seattle

On Friday, Dale called me worried that Sasha was sick. Now, Sasha vomits frequently mostly because he loves to eat anything that crosses his path....he is the world's biggest garbage cat. Anyways, I was thinking that maybe he just ate some garbage or maybe had a little cold, nothing too major. When I got home Sasha refused to move. His usually energetic and happy personality was clouded by obvious severe discomfort.

We took him to the vet and as it turns out he has what is really similar to kidney stones, caused most likely by the difference in water, change of diet, and stress from moving. Sasha had to be catheterized and hospitalized over night.

Dale and I hardly slept through the night. We were mostly amused by the thought of Sasha, attached to a catheter, waking in the middle of the night to find a toilet to use (he is toilet trained!). After we paid the $268 vet bill on Saturday, we were able to take him home.

Sasha now has better health care than Dale and me. He is currently drinking distilled water and eating specially formulated food that is grain-free. In addition, he is on prednisone and antibiotics and gets to use a litterbox so we can monitor his urination. Sasha previously behaved like no other cat, he has always been more human than cat. Now, I think it is safe to assume that he thinks he is human. Especially now that he thinks he belongs in our bed under the covers like a real human being.

Today is my birthday. I never enjoyed celebrating New Years, because my birthday always seemed to feel like New Years; New year, another year older, make promises I know I cant keep. I have always struggled with becoming an adult. I know compared to most of my friends and relatives I am more responsible and mature...more adult. However, inside I never feel a day over 16 and struggle to see myself as an adult.

I guess that is the beauty of turning 23. For the past year I have felt 24 and have even on some occasions told others that I WAS 24. Today, I recognize that I am 23. Not only am I 23, but I also am finally beginning to see my life in terms of adulthood. I am married, live in a house with a spare bedroom, go to work everyday at 7:30, come home to make dinner, complete domestic chores, and go to bed. I know many of you may think I am crazy--that this is no life to be envious of.

What about the bars? Parties? Dates? Men? I have really never been one in favor of all those adventures rather preferring a quiet night at home cuddled up with someone warm. So today, on my 23 birthday, my gift to myself is the reconciliation of my internal struggle of trying to be an adult and actually feeling like one.

Dale had a job interview yesterday. It went very well. The restaurant is a very quaint breakfast and lunch place and serves Cafe Vita coffee (Seattle coffee shop). One of the servers questioned Dale's relocation from Seattle..."why would you want to move here???"

I have been disillusioned with Seattle. Five years ago I wanted nothing more than to walk to bust city streets with a cup of Jo in my hand and my cell phone in the other. After four years of trying to live a life that I really was not made for I became depressed feeling like the cloud cover in Seattle existed over my brain as well. Dale and I have had many long talks about this. Ultimately, we are simple folks in need of simple lifestyles. That is why we moved to Missoula--to enjoy the beauty of solitude, the freedom of space, and the opportunity to grow gardens, hike, and become self-sufficient.

Having only been in Missoula for three weeks, we feel as though we have settled into a life style worth living. In Seattle we went out to bars and dinner 4-5 nights a week. We have gone out to dinner ONCE in our three weeks in Missoula. Some of the luxuries, like 24-hour grocery stores, late night diners, and bars within walking distance are just not available. We dont miss it. Instead, we go to the brewery to fill up our growler (which is both environmentally friendly and cost-effective), make dinner most nights, sometimes even our own bread, and cuddle up to watch movies on our GIANT HD Projector. Jealous? We are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment