Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Elation

I started my first day at Sentinel High School on Tuesday. The day was busy as I was shuffled from one staff meeting to another, meeting people whose names I have already forgotten.

Even in all the chaos, I still made time to watch the inauguration. We snuck into an American History class that had an HD projector highly suitable for our viewing needs. During the inauguration, I teared (just a little), laughed, and became extremely frustrated. A couple of bothersome things happened:

1.) The kids that belonged in this class, SENIORS, mind you, had their heads on the desk the whole time. I can understand why as my years in high school were not the most politically involved, however, I was still respectful, interested, and thoughtful about politics. These kids were not the slightest bit interested in what was going on. To make matters worse, they were disruptive--talking in the back of the classroom, throwing pencils across the desk, just general annoyances but nonetheless disruptive. These are the same kids that I am supposed to be working with as part of my AmeriCorps position.

2.) I was extremely moved when Joe Biden took his oath of office. It was the same oath that I took to become part of AmeriCorps. Saying those words in the governor's office made an impact but seeing the vice president take the same oath reinforced my beliefs, mission, and commitment to the AmeriCorps program.
"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign, and domestic;
That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
That I take this obligation freely and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
And that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God."
3.) Obama is such a wonderful speaker, one that inspires those to tune in and listen closely. Looking around the room at other teachers and seeing their faces, small rivers running down their faces and glowing of hope and pride, I couldn't help but become tearful myself. Tuesday was a historical day, but not because of race, religion, or income. Tuesday showed for the first time what democracy is, it showed how to inspire people to empower their voices and become participants in their politics, and showed what happens when millions stand together for something they believe in: change.
My day in the office ended smoothly. I am starting my term with AmeriCorps during a dynamic and hopeful change for America, hopefully by the end of next year my service will be reflective of a year of great change.

No comments:

Post a Comment