Sunday, June 12, 2011

Project 365:: Day 163


Day 163  Well, there is no turning back now.  I said goodbye to my kids with tear filled eyes, sadness, and excitement.  The flight attendant was armed with a box of Kleenex and water for me.  The mom in me feels guilt and nervousness as I leave my two boys with someone other than myself. 

"Will they be okay?  Did they pack the diaper bag?  Did they remember how to sign 'change'?  Will they remember me?" 

The plane landed in Phoenix and I an uneasiness subsided.  I am here.  There is no turning back.  This is what I signed up for and I am going to give it my all.  I hopped on a shuttle, a few forms and lines later, I was opening my door to my temporary abode in Phoenix. 

It feels so lonely and cold without the pitter-patter of tiny feet and screeching toddlers.  Yet, I am quickly reminded that I am not alone.  My peers have been so very welcoming and their passion for educational equity joins us.  This passion will guide me through this 5 weeks of separation. 

I am scared.  What if I fail?  What if I succeed?  How will our lives continue to transform as we embark on this new path? Again, will my kids remember me?

After a Target trip and a cozy dinner, I called my kids.  My 19-month old who barely speaks said "hi mama"  over the phone.  There were a few more mumbles and jumbles and I heard him go squealing away. And in the distance, I heard "dub ooh mama".  He said, "I love you mama". 

I love you too!  They wont remember these next 5 weeks.  But if they did, I would tell them joining TFA is all for them.  For their futures, their peers futures, for all the children around them.  We do this because we love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment