Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Project 365:: Day 158


Day 158  As you may have guessed I have been more than busy.  Induction into Teach For America started this Monday as I fancied up and hopped on a bus to meet the other 38 incoming corps members.  Our induction has been more than just a few meet and greets as we have been thrown right into understanding the values behind TFA and the culture of Seattle.  I am feeling challenged and blessed as I discover the balance between two passions--my job and my children.  In this internal struggle and facing the reality of Seattle schools, I have discovered that they are not necessarily separate things. 

I graduated from Seattle University nestled in Capital Hill and surrounded by vibrant culture and diversity.  I volunteered in many Seattle schools.  I tutored at Bailey Gatzert, Meany Middle school, and was a program assistant at Children's Literacy Project, placing volunteers in needed areas.  The Achievement Gap has been a conversation within in my communities. In college, it was my duty to raise awareness of the Achievement Gap and its importance as a social justice issue.  We are failing our students and as a community we need to take action against this injustice. 

Long story short, I am aware of the problem but not even I realized the true depth and complexity of this issue.  I have always believed that the disparities existed between North and South Seattle schools.  Little did I realize that these disparities exist across the board in almost every school, some dramatically worse than others.  The schools that I had perceived has "top-notch" were to my surprise failing.  In one school, only 55% of students were proficient in reading.  In another, only 14% were proficient in math.  The gap exists and it is real.  In Seattle, your zip code determines a lot more than your mailing address or postal rate.  Even in my research, participation, and attempts to take action in fixing this problem, I failed to see the painful and angry reality facing our community.

My children will attend Seattle Public Schools. Am I scared?  Am I worried?  No.  I know that teachers, communities, and parents are working together to reach a collective goal.  I know that the 38 incoming Teach For America corps members will strive to meet AND exceed the needs of their students.  I know that this community is capable of doing great things and that one day ALL children will succeed far beyond high school.  I am more than excited about the future and all it holds. It will be a challenging road.  It will be tearful, painful, hilarious, and rewarding.  We are working together to ensure the future of not just my children, but all children.  We put a man on the moon, so this should be no sweat, right?

I am about to leave for 5 weeks.  I am leaving my children behind me to do great things for their future.  I will return full of passion and commitment.  My two passions will not be separate.  Instead, they will be driving each other to make me the best teacher and mother I can possibly be.

As a parent, I have learned to be adaptive, unconditional, patient, and persevere (even after sleepless nights and screaming toddlers).  These skills will more than help me in the classroom but it is the passion and optimism for transformational change that will continue to guide me.   I couldn't be happier serving Seattle in a this greater capacity.  My children will benefit from this new journey and it feels so good to be trading in my sweatpants for suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment