Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lovely Limoncello!



It may seem like I should have no free time to even think about cooking or blogging but the truth is, when this baby sleeps I am busy! While I know I should be sleeping myself, Kannon's naptime seems like the only time I can do things for MYSELF, like eat, get dressed, catch up on internet etc. Of course, now that I making ample use of the MOBY wrap it seems like I can do just about anything with a baby strapped to my chest (although, washing dishes is still fairly precarious, unless you dont mind bathing your baby with dirty dishwater!)

That said, Dale and I finally got a chance to master a limoncello recipe that we have meaning to try since LAST year. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, so I thought I would pass the recipe along as limoncello makes a great Christmas gift!

Limoncello

1.75 liters of Vodka (cheap Vodka will work, we went with Potter's)
Roughly 17 lemons (we got the 5 pound bags from Costco, so numbers were tricky)
3.5 cups of sugar
5 cups of water

1.) Scrub those lemons and peel the skins using a vegetable peeler (try to avoid getting any of the white pith mixed in)

***You will have a bunch of skinless lemons lying around, I would suggest juicing them and freezing in ice cubes tray for later uses or if you feel motivated make lemon bars!

2.) Add the peels to a big airtight pitcher. Then add the vodka.

3.) Put the pitcher away somewhere dark where its out-of-sight, out-of-mind and let it rest for 4 weeks. (If you get really antsy like I do, feel free to give it a gentle shake about half way through, to get the oils distributed)

***You will know when its done, when the peels have turned white and are brittle.

4.) Mix the sugar and water in a pot and bring to boil for 5 minutes. Let it cool completely.

5.) Strain your vodka into another pitcher big enough to add the sugar/water mixture. Add the sugar/water and bottle (we used Grolsch bottles) and send out for gifts or place in your freezer for drinking pleasure.

6.) Limoncello is sweet and lemony and could be served simply chilled over ice or mixed in an a variety of adult drinks.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment