Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Little Laundry Love

I hate laundry. Before I met Dale my laundry habits were far from sanitary as I let it pile up in my closet, only forcing myself to wash my clothes when I was either out of underwear, or out of money to buy new underwear. I confess I wore the same pair of jeans for 3 weeks when I was in college--hey, it was finals and there was no time for laundry!

The process of putting clothes in the washer and the dryer is fine, its the putting them away part that I hate. I cant stand the way freshly laundered clothes feel...staticky, warm, ugh. Lucky for me, Dale is my laundry god as somehow, he manages to make all my dirty laundry disappear and reappear clean in my closet, folded, hanged, and dry. However, as much I as I hate doing laundry, I did 3 loads yesterday, each with love and excitement as I was washing BABY CLOTHES.

It seems like a simple task, but to me, a first-time mom and laundry virgin, I was clueless. I actually googled "how to wash newborn clothes" because I didn't want to screw anything up. I wanted to make sure the clothes are clean, free of any dyes and germs, and sensitive for my baby's rump. So I dove straight in, using 1/8 cup of Bio-Pac Free & Clear detergent, on a hot wash and cold rinse. I even put the baby socks in a sock bag to ensure the sock monster would leave them alone. Then, I dried them without fabric softener on medium heat. A few hours later, I found myself pacing around the dryer waiting for the buzzer so I could sort through all my goodies.

Baby hats, booties, and onesies quickly filled the table I converted into a laundry area. I lovingly stared at the tiny socks, dreaming of little baby toes and fingers. I found sleep sacks, pants, and shirts adorable. I sorted clothes between "newborn", "0-3 months", "3-6" months and beyond. I imagined dressing our little peanut up in swim shorts for the summer, a fleece jacket for the winter, and even a chili pepper costume for Halloween. And, I admit, I picked out that perfect outfit to bring the baby home from the hospital in. I swore I wouldn't do it but I couldn't resist the lime green onesie that says "little guy" beneath an embroidered moose (I promise, pictures soon!). I pared it navy blue pants, a little blue knitted hat, and blue slipper socks. My little guy is better dressed than I am! And, he is certainly coming home in style!

After a few more loads of laundry and delicately folded sheets and blankets, I turned off the nursery light, and went to bed dreaming about my soon-to-be little boy in that adorable little outfit. Laundry wasn't so bad after all--now if only I felt the same way about my clothes.

1 comment:

  1. Aw. How exciting!! I havent started washing anything yet.
    I bet it felt so good washing your little mans clothes.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE doing laundry. I wish I could be a maid and JUST do people's laundry.. Lol!

    ReplyDelete