Sunday, August 23, 2009

Carnitas Tacos Comfort

I forgot how antibiotics can sometimes make you feel more ill than you were before popping the pill. The extra strength-highly concentrated Azithromycin that I have been taking for my sinus infection has left my stomach in knots with my last meal hovering between my stomach and my throat.

Consequently, nothing sounds appetizing except for the carnitas (shredded beef) tacos that Dale and I made a few weeks ago. They are the perfect combination of grease, spice, and gently shredded beef that heals the angriest of stomachs. Sadly, I wont be making them tonight because we have other plans, but I thought I would share the recipe, which is fantastically easy and delicious.

Carnitas Tacos

  • 2 pounds beef shoulder/chuck roast/brisket (anything you would use for pot roast)
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, (I like the fire-roasted kind)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 bay leaves

Directions

Season all sides of the beef liberally with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside.

Add the onion and garlic and lightly brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, plus 1 can of water, spices, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add enough water to cover the meat (if needed). Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender.

Let meat cool in the liquid, reserve liquid.

Shred meat using a fork. While you are shredding the meat, bring the liquid in the pot to a gentle simmer over medium heat and let reduce until its the consistency of tomato sauce (about 5 minutes), add the shredded meat back to the pot, combine well and reduce the heat to warm until ready to serve.

Get your taco fixings ready! Dale likes to make homemade taco shells using corn tortillas fried lightly in oil while I prefer soft tacos. We both agree, these carnitas deserved to be dressed up simply with some cotija cheese, shredded lettuce, guacamole, and salsa but feel free to dress them as you desire!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blogs!!! How about sharing the taco shell recipe? I can't find any for purchase without preservatives. Don't forget to extoll the virtues of our local Ten Spoon Pear Wine, which appears to be sold out in Bozeman (not me, I swear) and is currently much sought after on Orcas Island. Mark will be stopping at the Good Food Store for vino on his way north! Kristie

    ReplyDelete