Monday, June 15, 2009

Adulthood














In January 2008, after a rough year full of drama and heartbreak, I sat in my room staring at a computer screen and rainy Seattle searching for job opportunities and adventure for the soon to be post graduate soul. Montana plagued my thoughts, for that is where my heart and soul belonged. Of course, school started, I met my husband, fell in love, and simply forgot about that moment in the my room.

Of course, later in the year, that destiny would not escape me. After a trip back home to Montana Dale and I found ourselves resenting the city life and wishing for something more. We wanted to be free, breathe clean air, hike mountains, swim in lakes, and enjoy the small town life. When I came across AmeriCorps I found my calling. Not only could I live in Montana but I could also fulfill my passion for social justice and serve a community. It was a dream come true.

What I never expected was the life that would begin to paint its picture. Dale and I settled into Missoula immediately becoming intoxicated by the frosty air. Not only were we in love with eachother but we were in love with our home and what we created together. I am a stubborn and strong willed and have always known that I would live in Montana and raise a family. I never expected it would happen so easily.

A year ago, I graduated from college and was starting a new job--resenting the reality of adulthood. Now, a year later, I embrace life and all the complexities that adulthood has offered. I am married. I am going to be a mom in October. My Friday nights are spent knitting baby hats and cuddling with my husband on a couch. I spend Saturdays hiking, running errands, and if its a good week, going to Farmer's Market. My husband makes me breakfast in bed on Sundays and brings home flowers on Sunday night. I stare at my growing belly and I revel in wonder at how amazing and unexpected life has become. I love life.

AmeriCorps has fulfilled more than just my calling to serve. It has brought me home to the land the I belong in and paved the way for a life I always wanted but never knew I could have. At the beginning of the year, they warned us that it would be hard. We would struggle with our work, with our communities, and live paycheck to paycheck. It has been hard but knowing that I can do all that, with my husband, and have a child, gives me all the confidence in the world that I can do anything. I no longer resent adulthood but instead appreciate all the opportunity that it provides. It is hard, but the payoff is so worth it.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me so happy for you! Life is amamzing. When you think you can't handle something or it won't work out, God shows you the way! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these quick transitions into being "all grown-up" are very impressive!! It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete