Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Stretchmarks and Floods

I am 15 weeks and so far have been very lucky with my pregnancy. I had no morning sickness, my hair looks great, and even my former bitten, raw fingernails are long and healthy. Today, I was getting ready for work and I happened to notice some stretchmarks, right by my belly button. Seriously, STRETCH MARKS! I freaked out and called Dale into the room to confirm my suspicion. They weren't there yesterday. They erupted somewhere between last night and this morning. I have great skin, I was hoping to avoid these little ruptures. I guess its karma for bragging about no morning sickness.
So I am off to the store to by cocoa butter to lather these SOB's in. I love that I am showing so early (being short) but the downside is I have popped so fast that my skin cant keep up. Pretty soon my belly is going to resemble the US Highway map!

Aside from the stretch marks, things appear normal and great. The heartburn has pretty much disappeared but my appetite remains strong. FYI: Don't get between a pregnant woman and her dinner. Last week I made cream of lemon chicken soup (my favorite) and I was enjoying the last of my bowl. I was about to get a second helping when Dale walked in the with the rest in a bowl for himself. I just sat there, salivating, watching him enjoy every precious bite of soup and felt steam rising through my ears. My face was hot and all I could think about was grabbing the bowl from him and running away. Of course I didn't say anything until a few days later. Now Dale is afraid to touch anything I make for fear that the very angry pregnant woman may attack.

In other news, one of Dale's co-workers has given his two weeks notice which means that there is a possibility of Dale going full-time and maybe even getting a day shift or two which would be wonderful! Dale loves his job at the Good Food Store and it seems that his co-workers and customers appreciate his charming and well mannered attitude. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last year, we went to Alaska for two weeks with a friend of ours, Jarred. We spent a couple days at Jarred's family cabin in Eagle, AK. Eagle is 14 hours from Anchorage and sits on the Canadian-Yukon and Alaska border, separated only by the Yukon river. We had planned to canoe the Yukon but with last years high-river we played it safe and instead spent a few nights camping near the Yukon and historic Fort Egbert. It was relaxing and beautiful and yet mysterious.
With this year's quick warm up the Yukon flooded, sending water and sheets of ice through the town of Eagle, decimating almost every structure. Jarred doesn't know the status of his cabin but it is most likely underwater along with the rest of Eagle's historic downtown. I attached some pictures of the flooding as well as the link to the article. http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/may/05/yukon-river-flood-destroys-buildings-eagle/















No comments:

Post a Comment