Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home on the Range....



About this time of year I start to get antsy. I can smell flowers in the air, warm air hitting the pavement, and the river even wafts by my senses. Not only is getting close to summer but its time to camp! This excitement invades my concentration limiting my ability to work. Of course this drives Dale nuts because everyday I come home and suggest we take an adventure.

Last week, after a rough nights sleep, I could sense the next wanderer attack hitting my brain. I stared at the same screen for 10 minutes without realizing it. I got shaky legs and immediately called Dale: "Lets go somewhere". His response: "I'm tired". After an hour of fighting over it, Dale gave in and we drove to the National Bison Range located about an hour away from Missoula.

It was the perfect day. A spring storm had rolled in just as we pulled into the park. Blue skies gently disappeared among the looming storm clouds. We started our ascent up the 19-mile Red Sleep Mountain drive just in time for few rain drops. Why was it perfect? Storm clouds and rain drops have this magical ability to reveal nature's true colors. Yellow flowers are brighter against the gray skies. Grass more vivid. Even animals appear more alive against the stark contrast of a dark sky.

We made it to the top of the mountain and stared out at the beautiful valley. The Jocko River was glacier blue and winded through the hills. Small towns, like St. Ignatius and Arlee were barely visible, disappearing into the glacially carved valley of mountains, stream, and lakes. I was telling Dale about Lake Missoula and the glaciers that permeated the area when we passed a sign "The Highest Point of Lake Missoula". Everything would have been under water. No towns, no Missoula, no animals.

We made our way down the mountain, passing native Montana wildflowers and antelope grazing on the hills. Just when I was beginning to think we may not see buffalo on this trip 4 bison emerged, crossing a stream with their calves. We watched them roll around the dirt and play affectionately with one another. Bison may be taller than our car but they are gentle and graceful in their movements. Of course Emma was in the car. She had her head out the window, tongue cocked sideways in her mouth, happy as can be with all the new scents and mysterious creatures to observe.
We made our way back, satisfied.
Dale was still tired but he did enjoy the brief trip with nature. As easily as we made our entrance into the wilderness, we made our way out. We spent 17 miles in construction, clearly the most evident sign that summer is here.

Emma almost strangled herself. I forgot to lock the window lock and while her head was out the window her paw rolled the window up onto her jaw. After a harrowing rescue Dale loaded her with beer and she passed out in the back, slightly traumatized from the experience.

Summer is here. Every day it gets hotter. Everyday my need to run to mountains increases. The cats escape out the front door every chance they get and sometimes I feel like them, just waiting for a door to open so I can run free in the painted hills.

Dale has the next two days off. We have loaded our bags, packed our food, and are headed Flathead Lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment