Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gender Predictions

I am on an online baby board (babycenter.com, guilty as charged!) and I must confess that I waste several hours each day scrolling this board. Mostly, I am curious as to how other women are handling their pregnancies. Sometimes, when I think "is that normal" I rush to my baby board and see if other women are experiencing the same. The rest of the time, I peruse useless blogs and posts that somehow make my 8-hour workday disappear into Internet oblivion.

Long story short, several women have been experimenting with gender predicting old wives tales. At first, I tried to ignore all the superstition but my impatience has got the best of me and Dale came home last night to find me boiling cabbage....

From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I knew it was a boy. I just had that feeling. Yet, I cant seem to bring myself to look at boy clothing or boy names, so perhaps I am wrong. I started researching old wives tales and have interesting results.

1.) Chinese Calendar Gender Predictor- Boy
This test is based on the age of mother and month of conception.


2.) Red Cabbage Test- Boy/Girl
Boil red cabbage for ten minutes and then add first-morning urine to the cabbage water. If the pee turns bluish/purple, its a girl. If it turns redish/pinkish, its a boy. I did this test five times, changing the temperature of the cabbage water each time. When it was hot, it was boy. When it was warm, it was boy. When it was cold, it was girl. Who knows?

3.) Cravings- Boy
If you crave salty/spicy foods - you're having a boy. If you crave sweet foods - you're having a girl. I am hungry for pickles and cheesy appetizers. My sweet tooth disappeared and two pints of chocolate ice cream remain untouched in my freezer.

4.) Where do you carry your weight?- Boy
If you carry your weight around the middle - girl.
If you carry your weight in front (you can't tell you're pg from behind) - boy.

5.) Heart Rate- Girl
The theory states that if your baby's heart rate was 140 beats per minute and above, you would be having a girl. If the heart rate was under 140 beats per minute, then you would be having a boy. Our heart rate was 159.

6.) Husband Weight Gain- Boy
Another old wives' tale uses your husband's weight gain to predict your baby's gender. If your husband gains weight, you will be having a girl. If he doesn't gain weight, you'll be having a boy.

7.) Hungry?- Boy
Some women pregnant with boys eat like a teenage boy. If you are starving all the time, its a boy. If your appetite is unchanged, its a girl. I am famished 24/7. I once woke up at 4 am and made Dale get me food.

8.) Morning Sickness- Boy
Its thought that women pregnant with girls have more morning sickness because of all the extra hormones. If you are sick as a dog, its a girl. If you are lucky and had none, its a boy!

9.) Great hair and nails? - Boy
Midwives believed if your hair and nails are growing fast and looking great, its a boy. If your hair is stringy and nails slow to grow, its a girl. I was a notorius nail biter and now, I cant keep up! The nails are growing fast and strong as well as my hair!

10.) Dreams- Girl
If you dream of labor & delivery and the doctor says, its a ____. Then it will be whatever you dreamed. I had a dream that the doctor said, "its a girl" and we named her Ella. No boy dreams though.

11.) Drano Prediction-????
I haven't done this yet, but lots of women swear by it. Simply add urine to 2tbls of Crystal Drano. If the mixture darkens to a brownish color within the first 10 seconds - It is a boy.If there is no darkening or color change after 10 - 15 seconds - It is a girl.

As you can see there are many mixed results. For the most part, it looks like its a boy. We are eager to find out hopefully this month but it may be next month. My brother has $20 bucks on us that its a girl, but everyone else thinks boy. I am determined to get that $20 so I am still guessing boy!

1 comment: