Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kat's Bad-Ass Buffalo Chilli

We went to our friends house on Friday for dinner. I aggreed to make Chilli if they made cornbread and salad. I have made chilli before and have gotten rave reviews. This time, I decided to change things around and use things local to Montana. What I created was the BEST damn chilli I have ever tasted, I have supporters on this one. I have tasted a lot of chilli and my friend Kay is a Texan and swears that this is the best chilli ever. If I could make a pot and have all of you over for dinner I would, but for now the recipe will suffice.

Kat's Bad-Ass Buffalo Chilli
1 lb stewing beef, sliced into 1-inch chunks
1 lb buffalo tri-tip or rump roast, sliced into 1-inch chunks
1/2 lb of ground buffalo

1 large onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 can tomatoe paste
1/4 diced green chilies
2 tbsp of chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 can of beer
1 cup of beef broth
1 tsp oil

Herbs:
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp Cumin
Salt/Pepper to taste (usually 1 tsp each)

**If you like beans (which I do) Add:
1 can chilli beans (pinto beans in tomatoe sauce)
1 can black beans, kidney beans OR pinto beans

1.) In a dutch oven, brown meat on all sides and remove from pan. (I usually do this 1/2 at a time, so meat gets brown faster)

2.) LEAVE the fat in the pan and add 1/2 can of beer. Let reduce 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid is gone. (Buffalo is very lean, reducing the fat gives the buffalo richness)

3.) Add oil to the pan with sliced onion, garlic, and green chilies. Cook until onions are tender (about 4 minutes, you can add more beer if it starts to burn)

4.) Add the meat back into the pan. Add the chipotle peppers and diced/stewed tomatoes. Give it a stir, add remaining beer, beef broth and spices. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer covered for 20 minutes. (depending on how spicy you like your chilli, add more/less chipotle peppers. Also, I really like cumin, so I usually add an extra 1-2 tbsp)

5.) To thicken sauce, add tomatoe paste and stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 10 minutes. (again, depending on how you like your chilli, you may add more or less tomatoe paste)

6.) Add beans and once again, simmer covered for about 10 more minutes. Adjust to taste.

7.) Serve with Kay's cornbread casserole and devour!

***The longer it stews the more tender it will be. I usually let it stew for 2 hours and then add beans about 30 minutes before its ready to eat, so that the beans keep their texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment