Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emma Jean, the Cat Herder

We picked up our new puppy a week ago Monday. She had just been spayed and was still quite groggy. She just wanted to cuddle and sleep. We were up have the night cleaning up her vomit, which apparently our vet forgot to mention would happen.

I sadly had to leave her in the arms of Dale for a few days as I ventured to Helena for a community building training. I talked to Dale every few hours to check in. I was so amused listening to Dale recant his stories of Emma. Here is what I learned while away.

1. Emma apparently likes to hide things. She hid our car keys under the couch.

2. Anything she likes, she puts on the couch: dog bowl, bone, Dale's socks etc

3. She is a sheep herder by nature. She loves sheepskin, or anything resembling sheep skin. She tore through Dale's sheepskin lined slippers.

4. She loves to cuddle. So much in fact, that she practically kicks you off the bed.

5. When she has to pee, she stands up and sniffs the air.

6. She hates puddles and will avoid them at all possible causes, even if it involves breaking from her leash and collar...she hates wet feet.

7. Dale decided to give her a middle name, he calls her Emma Jean.

8. Anytime the cats go outside, she herds them back inside.

Of course, I find all of this endearing and listening to Dale immediately gets my biological clock ticking as the mother me starts to come out.

She was so excited when I returned home. I sat down on the floor and she crawled into my lap to give me hugs and kisses.

Already, she has made a huge difference in our lives. We actually get up and do things. We love our couch and our tv, which is a dangerous thing when you live in Montana. Having her around, has forced us to get up early on the weekend and go for walks. We are so excited to show her off that we take her anywhere we go.

Friday, we had a puppy play date with some friends. Everyone loved her! Emma is really a great dog, she is mellow, doesn't bark, and loves to be near people. If only we could get her housebroken.

Saturday we walked her downtown. She was great on the leash as long as she walked between Dale and me. If I moved her to the other side, she would inadvertently cut us off in her attempt to be between us.

Sunday we walked to the park and discovered that she loves to collect pine cones (just like my mother). Emma would walk two steps and pick up a pine cone, drop it and then pick up another.

I was not a dog person until we got Emma Jean. She is mellow and intelligent. I love watching her and discovering all the new things she does. Just like a baby, she has a huge learning curve right now.

Yesterday, she discovered that her Frisbee holds snow when its upside down. She would fill her Frisbee and then carry it somewhere where she could eat the snow.

On Friday she refused to take commands and had no comprehension of "sit". Now, all she wants to do is sit. She sits and waits until we call her a good girl or until she gets a cookie. This week we will work on lay down, stay, and shake.

Having a puppy has been thus far rewarding. It has its challenges, nobody likes to wake up at 3 am to clean up dogshit. However, to keep her in my life I will gladly do it. Emma has brought Dale and I closer, has gotten us more active, and has shown us a little insight into parenting.

From Emma Jean...the pondering puppy

No comments:

Post a Comment