Sunday, July 3, 2011

Project 365:: Day 183

Day 183 Today is a little different. On Friday we shared our reasons for being here. Many of us left behind friends, jobs, familiarity. I left my husband and 2 children--a dog and 3 cats. What the hell am I thinking? The question was phrased "who do you teach for?" For many it was a student they had a met, a student they had taught, both deeply personal. I was in tears when it came time to speak.

"Who do you teach for?"

"I teach for my brother. I had a transformational teacher and was able to overcome the burdens that weighed my shoulders. My brother did not. Today, I stand here because of the support of my family and my hard-work, but it all started with a teacher--a life-changing, path-altering, teacher who saw my potential, heard my voice, and made it known. My brother was tossed through the system and never had those kinds of teachers to support him. I teach to do right by him. To make sure that no children are left behind in a system that failed them. I teach for Sam."

1 comment: