Wednesday, April 20, 2011

mama confesses:: the nursing dilemma

I have been nursing Clark since birth.  He is now 6 1/2 months old.  I always knew that I would make it to 6 months, I just never knew how easy it would be getting here.  Nursing was fine with Kannon, but we never really hit it off, and once I got pregnant again, my supply disappeared and we stopped.  There was nothing to really miss.  With the excitement of another baby on its way I knew I would get my chance again.  So Clark has been nurse exclusively for 6 1/2 months. I long for our nursing sessions. 

Now I am faced with so many decisions. Wean? Pump? Formula? I dont know!

If you didn't know already, I have been accepted and will be joining Teach for America this year.  While I am so proud of myself and excited for the future--this offer presents a challenge.  5-weeks of training in Phoenix, AZ.  So, I will be leaving the boys with Dale (and whoever volunteers their time to help-out!!!) and packing my bags for 5 weeks of intense training. 

5 weeks!  I am not crazy.  Dale will come down and visit with the boys and perhaps they will be able to stay an extra week or two. We haven't quite worked out the details yet. This will be the first time I have left them.  I am scared, nervous, excited.  Somedays I am plagued with guilt.  Other days I am content knowing the kids will have a great time bonding with Dale.  It is a new step in our life, our marriage, and our parenting.

And so goes the question, can I keep nursing?  Can I pump enough between now and then?  Can I pump while I am in training?  Can I store milk? Will my supply come back when I come home?  Or should I just take advantage of our family visiting next week and start slowly introducing formula?  Is this really the end?

I haven't decided.  I know that whatever decision we make will be the right one.  I don't know whether to feel sad or defeated if I choose to stop.  I don't know if I should be proud if I decided to continue nursing against all challenges.  It is a big dilemma and I don't think anyone can answer the question for me but any words of advice would be appreciated.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kat. It is a big decision and one not to take lightly. I would say just make sure you think it through so you don't regret it. My suggestion would be to try to pump and store and see how it goes. If it goes well, great, if not then at least you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While continuing to nurse/pump over that 5 week period would certainly be difficult, I'm sure you would be "able" to have time to pump. That would be a hard decision. I do suggest if you are going to offer formula do it well in advance because he may not take it. Liam refused formula and would wait for me to get home to eat. I only tried that a couple times but he waited 6 hours once. I'm pretty convinced he would have waited much longer if he needed to. He was not a fan apparently. He would take breast milk in a bottle but not formula?? Anyway, I would hate for that to be the discovery close to your trip. If you decide breastfeeding wont work, I would definitely start with the formula sooner than later. :) Hope that helps!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough one, momma, but I know you will make the right choice for your family! You have done an excellent job providing nourishment for Clark, no matter how he gets it, he is a well loved and cared for boy, and he knows that! But, I can totally understand your dilemma. I don't think you can go wrong weaning before, or not. If you decide to pump, is there any way to ship milk home? I'm sure that might get costly. Good luck with your decision, and just remember that whatever you choose, it will be right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat!!! You rock mama!! I can't believe you've stuck to it for 6 months!! You should be proud of yourself for that. A lot of women won't or can't do that. Obviously I'm no mama, but I agree with the person above, you obviously take wonderful care of your boys (especially in the food department!) and whatever choice you make will be the right one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete