Wednesday, May 19, 2010

solid sundays:: grains and mixes


This week we introduced some grains.  Kannon was already experimenting with bread but we decided to add some jazz to his vegetables by adding brown rice.  After he figured out the sticky texture he lapped up dinner faster than ever.  Clearly, he prefers the texture and flavor brown rice adds to his somewhat boring veggies.

I was going to start asparagus this week but had no luck finding quality bunches.  After the rice proved successful at spicing up some hated veggies I decided that I would spend this week revisiting and mixing some veggies.

Brown Rice::
I steamed brown rice in a rice cooker until finished and then pureed in the food processor with leftover carrot stock.  There are a variety of ways to make pureed brown rice.  Pureed rice doesn't freeze well on its own, so if you do freeze, add some veggies or fruit.

We tried rice in everything.  Peas, carrots, butternut squash....even bananas.  Kannon usually hates carrots but mixed with rice and a little formula he had no problem finishing his bowl.

Kannon has started making "raspberries" noises to avoid making contact with a spoon

Mixes::
Call me black and white but I can't mix my veggies.  On my plate, peas and carrots don't even share close borders.  I am picky.  Shoot me.  However, after becoming annoyed watching my son refuse to even open his mouth for carrots, I had to think fast.  My kitchen turned into a mad scientist's lab as I began mixing the strange and unusual....really, the combinations were not too unusual but clearly tasty enough for Kannon.

Bananas::Strawberries::Carrots
Carrots::Applesauce
Carrots::Peas::Rice
Pears::Butternut Squash
Cauliflower::Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes::Strawberries::Carrots

As you can see, my whole mission revolved around finding a place for carrots.  Now, I just have to find a way to blend peas....because Kannon has decided on no more peas.


Next Week Preview::
Mango
Spices

No comments:

Post a Comment